Indian Music teachers receive students with their different goal sets. When a teacher tries to offer them tailor-made lessons to help them to achieve their goals early, such a teacher or Guru is surely a thoughtful teacher or Guru.
Any good planning effort must have some solid homework behind it. When we try thinking on effective music teaching we shall require to look at the deliverables. Let us first consider three major groups of students;
- those who wish to be professional performers
- to help the persons those are amateurs
- working with the hobbyists.
Now, we have to understand the required knowledge and performance levels of these three categories of music learners. Let us first try to define these three categories of learners.
- A performer with his/her music should be able to enchant the audiences. This is possible with a right combination of dazzling virtuosity and artistic expressions.
- An amateur with his/her music should be able to open up intellectual curiosity of the audiences. An amateur may be a highly knowledgeable person but may not attain the level of virtuosity that a professional possesses.
- A hobbyist may like to able to play or sing in some way. A hobbyist may not have good performance acumen but should be able to enjoy their own practicing and appreciate master performances well, and so on.
So, when a performer must be able to perform very well but for them it is not necessary that they also possess huge amount of information regarding the music they perforom. For a performer a good degree of virtuosity level with good level of artistic expression are important. This is simply because the audiences naturally respond to higher virtuosity band but the general audience do not care much for pedantic musical applications. Here are some qualities of music performers [tonal instrumentalists and vocalists]:
|Virtuosity||High||Moderate to high||Low to high|
|Layakari||Moderate to high||Optional||Optional|
|High clarity and emphasis||Required||Moderate||Optional|
|Long duration performance ability||Required||Optional||Optional|
|High Impact performance